Goonoo Homestead was established in 1855. Nicholas Hyreronimus built the Victorian styled home after receiving a land grant of approximately 30,000 acres. On June 15 1859, Hyreronimus was elected to the New South Wales Legislative Assembly as the inaugural member for the electoral district of Wellington. However, he died suddenly in Sydney in 1860 after serving only one year in office.
The Hyreronimus Estate sold Goonoo Homestead to Francis Lord in the 1870’s. Lord embarked on extensive renovations to the home, resulting in its present form.
From 1881 to 1883 Goonoo Homestead was owned by James Carter. Carter then sold it to Samuel Taylor, who then sold it on to Bruce Haley. Haley and his family owned Thoroughbred racehorse “Tulloch”, who is regarded as one of the 3 finest racehorses in Australian racing history.
In 1945 Rupert (“RV”) White purchased Goonoo Homestead. He and his family remained there until 1987. The property has changed hands 3 times since 1987.
The Buckinbah Creek flows through the land that surrounds Goonoo Homestead. The creek derives its name from the property known as ‘Bukinbah Station’. Bukinbah Station is the first home of Andrew Barton (“Banjo”) Patterson. The local town of Yeoval was originally known as ‘Bukinbah’, which is where Banjo and his family lived until he was 5 years old.